Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

PolySpan Break

Anything to do with Overhead work, Including G&B

PolySpan Break

Postby otdrmn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:13 pm

What is the Polyspan Break idea ~ Read on

At present when an HV outage is experienced on the network crews attempt to isolate the affected area down to the smallest number of consumers affected.
This is usually done firstly by initiating HV switching in conjunction with Network Control and secondly by installing temporary gaps in the overhead HV network.
The temporary gaps are generally installed at shackle off points in the network and not on straight through poles. Gaps are installed on these poles because no other simple method exists for installing gaps on non-shackle poles exists
If a gap is currently installed on anything but a shackle off pole temporary stays have to be fitted, large equipment is required to release tension from wires etc.

So how does it work
The “Poly-Span Break” is made up of 2-polymer insulator, a tensioner and several dead-ends or come-along heads
By placing a polymer insulator on either side of a Crossarm, attaching the tensioner between the two polymers and connecting the conductor to the end of the polymer via a dead-end or come-along head.
One tensions the tensioner thus pulling the wire in together evenly, once enough slack has been obtained the conductor is cut.
This process is conducted on each of the 3 phases on the1st pole and then on the 3 remaining phases on the second pole.
The cut wire is folded back onto itself and tied to the line, this is the side the will become alive, the other side (towards your fault) remains bound to the insulator.

And Here's one that stayed in the air for 6 months
otdrmn

Poly span break

Postby deebee » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:18 pm

Firstly hi to everyone, it's good to see a local linework site for a change.
Let's hope it gets lots of support.
Looking at the poly span break procedure shown, maybe i'm missing something but it seems to be a way over complicated idea for cutting a gap. Cutting polys into the line was an everyday job in the UK for temp ABS etc (see attached pic). No need for temp stays, why would you need them as effectively you're putting the same tension on each conductor whatever method you use.
This also removes the need to leave your valuable (and certainly rare at Energex) tensioners on the line

[img][img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/deejaybee/Inlinediscs.jpg[/img][/img]
deebee

Postby otdrmn » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:34 pm

DeeBee, Welcome!
I looked at something similar but the install of breaks like the one youve shown mostly required bucket truck application, especially on larger wires such as cricket and cockroach as by the time you've put 2 deadends up and a polymer you were getting a fair way out from the pole.
It was thought that we would place a few of these things in local substations as sets ready to go when required, to be installed by a couple of faultman from ladders.
As you know we have a real driver to get as much power on as possible within 3 hours.

Cheers G
otdrmn

Postby deebee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks G
I see where you're coming from, I was thinking at first you were cutting these gaps live. There is still an easy solution in an aluminium pole platform or polestep, which we used for jobs like this where we were working dead or sticking. But I understand the need for a solution using the tools available. I just don't like the idea of leaving my pull lifts on the line, one other way would be to use a long eyebolt with eyenut. Is this what was setup in the top pic? If you did this way you'd need diff. polys which Chance and others supply.

DeeBee
deebee

Postby Davies SG » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Good workable idea for round this Network i think, oh, and how much did it cost to get that hunky male model in just to demonstrate it. :lol:
Davies SG

Postby Davies SG » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:26 pm

Hi deebee, i am not a Glove and Barrier mechanic, but, shouldnt the guys in your photo have only one conductor exposed at a time? :?
Davies SG

Postby deebee » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Davies

No, only the phase behind needed to be covered up in that instance, as there was no risk of contacting the far phase
deebee

Return to Overhead Linework