ESITO

Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

EPV Failure

Anything to do with Overhead work, Including G&B

EPV Failure

Postby otdrmn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:58 am

Anyone got more info on the EPV failure down south last week?
I think it was a older Crown MPH bucket with the 2 supporting rods running up the side boom.
G
otdrmn

Postby otdrmn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:43 pm

An email from Paul re the EPV incident ~ thanks

Hi Graeme.
Now more on the crown hoist failure, i was the foreman in charge on that site, of which the bottom boom was just above the resting point by 100-200mm, the top boom up to a height of about 5metres with a fairly solid, 100kg + linemechanic harnessed in properly, rode it down,(no option) minor injuries still off work at this time, returning next week.
Preliminary investigations have been conducted and it appears that the rod ends were not recommended by the manufacturer were fitted to the upper boom and could have contributed to the units mechanical failure.
Hope this is of interest to all. '
Great website.
I have been a linemechanic since JAN 69.
Cheers Paul
otdrmn

Postby bigclive » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:58 am

Rod ends as not recommended by the manufacturer and "could have contributed" to the failure. Did the rod ends actually fail then? Or is the manufacturer just looking for any reason to pass the buck. Like an insurance company denying a claim for any frivolous reason they can.

The company that my primary employer gets their cherry pickers from at the moment has less than stellar mechanics. I had a problem with one units fuel valve solenoid jamming in when it had warmed up. When the mechanic was out I also mentioned that the crawl mode was a bit sluggish and prone to halting. He said the reason for that was that "if the booms are up it takes all the electricity away from the unit and there's none left to move the wheels." Uh huh? He then tried to avoid changing the solenoid despite it being an easy job, saying that he preferred things to fail completely before he changed them!

These are the machines that regularly have hydraulic blow outs and leave a trail of fuel wherever they go. I really must be more forceful in demanding we go back to the one good equipment supplier in Scotland (Nationwide). there was a reason we dumped the others in the first place.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby bigclive » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:00 am

Oh yeah, hope the "fairly solid" lineman that went down with the unit makes a full recovery with no lasting problems from the impact.

That's the worst thing about being "fairly solid". It's useful to have that extra strength and weight, but you go down with a bit of a thud. :)
bigclive

epv failure

Postby PAUL RENNIE » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:37 pm

Yes the rod ends did fail, that is they BROKE right at the threaded end, i have digital pics of the but not good enough to send, the rods when broke landed on the deck of the truck as this unit is mounted on a truck deck, used to be on a trailer.
Yes the liney hopefully will make a full recovery and will be back to work this week, dislocated little left finger and burst blood vessels in right leg.
Most of the damage to his body, after speaking with him was the rebound of the bucket after it hit the tailgate and rebounded back up.
Of course with a full body harness on did not do the family jewels anygood, but still able to chase wifey around the house while on ACC.
HI HI.
Paul
Have been a line mechanic with Marlborough lines since jan 69, enjoying it, but getting sick and tired of having turkeys as superiors who dont know a thing practically.
PAUL RENNIE

Postby bigclive » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi Paul. Interesting to know what happened. The thing is, even if you visually checked the thread section I bet any fracture would be invisible until the thing failed. Hmmm.

Nice signature by the way, although it's not generally considered good practise to dis your management on a forum. :lol:

You don't need to anyway. We all know what management are like. It's why they're not on the tools any more. :wink:
bigclive

Postby KevinM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Whereas everyone on the tools is top notch I suppose!

Not all of us have forgotten what it is like on the tools even if we physically left them many years ago eh G.
KevinM
KevinM

Postby otdrmn » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Dead right there Kev, You and I have never forgotten what is like on the tools.
Infact it was good to get them on last week and help the boys out in the storm....
Once a Liney, always a Liney.....

G
otdrmn

Return to Overhead Linework