www.lineman.co.nz • View topic - health and safety Lineman.co.nz

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

health and safety

Anything to do with Overhead work, Including G&B

health and safety

Postby d smith » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:59 am

HELP REQUIRED hi there thinking of immigrating to nz as a linesman ,at the mo im a linesman for scottishpower with 15 years exp of working on 240v 11kv 33kv.
whats the health and saftey like over there to do with linesmanand working on the netwok and wat are the wages like the company im looking at is siemens in albany? :D
d smith

Postby bigclive » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 am

From what I've seen here their Health and Safety looks OK and if anything slightly less political than it has become in the UK. They do use ladders a lot which looks a bit of a grind.

If you do decide to go further with this I'd strongly recommend taking a trip over to see what things are really like. The immigration agencies are guilty of hard selling the concept of moving abroad for their own profit. Some groups of linemen have returned from abroad disillusioned and a lot poorer.

Things to take a look at are the actual value of money. For instance when I took a trip to Oz earlier this year I found that the seemingly good exchange rate was rendered pointless since everything more or less cost the same pound for pound. the property speculators have moved into these countries in style and you may end up financing somebody else's lifestyle if you have to get a large mortgage to buy a house that probably cost a tenth of the value five years ago.

On a plus side, skilled lineworkers are in demand around the world, so you can take your time and progress in a controlled manner. Australia, New Zealand and Canada aren't the ONLY emigration destinations in the world.

The guys on this forum are well placed to help you with any questions you have involving moving across.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.

Postby deebee » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:16 pm

I emigrated here just over 2 years ago, so can probably answer most of your questions. Health and Safety wise it's not really any diff. than Scotland, unfortunately not any less political Clive! but not any worse either.
I'll pm you later

Postby robbo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi dave, Have been in NZ for 3 years as a liney for siemens at albany, The best move i have done, use to work for scottish and southern for 18 years, There is about 15 uk lads here at siemens

have a look at your messages

Anthony Robinson (Robbo)

Return to Overhead Linework