CapitalSafety

ESITO

Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

Trainees

Anything to do with Overhead work, Including G&B

Postby chris » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:59 am

Weve only got one trainee at the moment and he just completed block one .Had him in office this morning going over his theory and showing him testing procedures.Hes showin great skills already but these guys need to be taught by lineys thier gonna climb with so everyone feels safe working together training providers do a great job but the majority is ON JOB TRAINING and I think some departments have forgotten this.
chris

Postby otdrmn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Agree with you 100%, it is all about on the job training. Thats where they learn 90+% of what they do as a LINEY.
As you know Chris we had some great teachers and as a young fella's if you showed the correct attitude then you'd not only got the respect of the guys you worked with but they'd also spend that extra time with you teaching you the ropes.
What criteria are you looking at when interviewing for new trainees?
otdrmn

Postby chris » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:07 pm

We base our decision heavily on attitude and dont make a secret that we work hard play hard.Couldnt say weve got it right every time but its a good start,last interview Neil got the guy to throw a ladder and he got it first time which was bit of a bonus and hes only 18,wouldnt want to go younger but thats my opinion and have seen guys younger do great too.
Also had one trainee that was just too scared of the job and admitted it shame but its not for everyone.
chris

Re: So what did you do...

Postby heismyboss » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:17 pm

squizzy wrote:OK heismyboss what did you do? We all have done funny things at some stage but you have let the cat out of the bag :D

it wasnt that bad but i got to the top of the ladder, belted on , checked the crossarm with the rope (i know i missed a few steps but belive me i did do them) went to tie 3 1/2 hitches around the victim and found that the rope had fallen down to the ground :oops:
so under G`s instruction climbed down and grabbed the rope and climbed back up the pole and tied 3 massive granny knots around the victim and lowered him to the ground whilst muttering and swearing at myself (who says men cant multitask?)

but i have learnt from this and am constantly hassled by my Foreman for tying the rope to either the top of the ladder or a crossarm.

Though last week i did kind of redem myself by doing what had to be my fastest and best poletop rescue :P

the other 2 trainees from the same company as me dropped the knife and tied the 1/2 hitches onto the mainline, and took 1/2 hour to set up the pulley :x
so it was quite an embarrsing day for the trainees from our company
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby squizzy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:24 am

You tie knots on the victim? Seems strange that in that situation you tie onto them. We have a carabina that just clips onto the victims harness pull the rope on the rescue kit tight lock in the brake cut their belt and lower. All work done off a ladder on live LV must have one rescue kit set up per person working. The rescue kit rope is red and is not permitted to be used as a hauler...
squizzy

Postby MAD's » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Yes Sqizzy the guys train to tie 3 x 1/2 hitches as we are looking at the worst case scenario. Not all of our guys over here have to wear full harness's so if they get into a rescue situation they will be experienced in still being able to secure the victim. Karabiners are also used in some training with the guys as they are shown that if there is no where to hook them to they can still be used around the victim and clipped back on to the main line.
Work safe ... Go home to your family
MAD's

Postby squizzy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:51 am

We did away with all half harnesses and belts and went to a full harnesses as the chance of dying very quickly while hanging in a belt is far quicker than that in a full harness which is easier to clip onto.
squizzy

Postby bigclive » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:07 am

I wonder how practical it is to use the rigging type harnesses that are designed to comfortably support you in a sitting position for extended periods of time. Would seem to make better sense than the traditional fall arrest harnesses that tighten round your legs when you fall.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby MAD's » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am

We are still going through the safety belt V full harness issues here. It is about 50 - 50 with the guys having to wear either. Depends on company and / or assett owner requirements. The Electrical Engineers Association (EEA) have been making noises about getting the standards that the belts have to meet changed so that the safety belts won't adhere so you can't wear them. This will definately piss a few people off. Getting all the stories about guys getting sore backs becuase of restricted movement etc so we will continue to train pole top rescue with the addition of the 3 x 1/2 hitches while there is still a need for it.
Work safe ... Go home to your family
MAD's

Postby heismyboss » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 pm

i am more than happy to train for the worst because if it does happen then you are prepared for it
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby squizzy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:16 am

bigclive wrote:I wonder how practical it is to use the rigging type harnesses that are designed to comfortably support you in a sitting position for extended periods of time. Would seem to make better sense than the traditional fall arrest harnesses that tighten round your legs when you fall.

The current harness we are using sounds like it would be similar to what you are describing. It has a wide kidney belt with an extra belt that is folded back with some velcro tabs all you do when doing ladder work is undo a couple straps and tear off the extra belt that folds out around your backside and is joined to the d-rings that your pole belt attaches to.
squizzy

Postby bigclive » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:53 am

Anything like the ones on this site?

http://www.yatesgear.com/rescue/industr ... /index.htm
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby squizzy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:15 pm

The 390 is almost the same as the one I use with my current employer (now part of Tenix) I must get a couple of pictures of the utility's full harness as I think they are a better set up. I had to give mine back when I left but I should be able to get some pics.
squizzy

Postby outthereanddoingit » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:14 pm

gidday from down waikato way where we have to learn as much as we can and am lucky in that with a smaller depot (6 lineys) a faultman and me (trainee) that i get as much one on one as you could ask for. Heaps of storm work ,car v pole ,and after hours because all the guys are in their 60s. i realise that even when i pass my finals at the end of the year that there is for ever learning.
outthereanddoingit

Previous

Return to Overhead Linework