ESITO

Safework

Marble Recruitment

Top Energy

unions

For anything that doesnt fit in anywhere else

unions

Postby stubby56 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Just woundering the benifits of unions, and what has the union done for you? is this a touchy subject,
stubby56

Postby heismyboss » Sun May 18, 2008 12:14 am

Dont want to go into in for Obvious reasons, but as a Union memebr i recieve more allowances for certian conditions. (at one stage i was earning more than a Glove and Barrier Foreman)
but it all depends who you work for and what Union your under.
Your work if it has the Union , Should have at least one Union Delagate
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby stubby56 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:19 am

thats true, it would depend on the company,
stubby56

Postby heismyboss » Sun May 18, 2008 12:24 am

but do find out what the pros and cons are for you,
i cant say exactly what, but during storms or Ardeous (spelling) weather its definitly worth being a union member
"what did your last slave die of?"
"Talking back"
heismyboss

Postby bigclive » Tue May 20, 2008 1:24 am

It's worth mentioning for the American visitors that a British, Australian or NZ union is nothing like an American union. Whereas in America it seems to be the unions that dish out the work to whoever they consider more worthy (Not judged on technical ability!) In the UK, Oz and Kiwi unions they tend to be there more as protection for the workers should they have an grievance or accident. They do also aid in ensuring rates are kept at a sensible level.

Not sure the state of the unions in Oz and NZ but here in the UK the main one seems to be AMICUS which is a sad mish-mash of unions purporting to be evolved from the older stronger ones like the original electrical workers union the EETPU.

Personally I'm pro union if they behave in a sensible and dignified manner. Some of the American unions are the very definition of what can happen when power goes to a unions head!
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Postby Cobb » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 am

I am a union lineman working in the US. Not sure what your experience is/was Clive but jobs are given on a first come first serve basis. The dispatcher cannot skip down the list unless your called out as a foreman, in which case the contractor has to pay you foreman scale regardless of your duties. The contractors reserve the right "turn you around" and send you back to the hall, but the union can't skip down the books. The contractor is as free to fire as the lineman is to quit.

I can't speak for all unions as I have only worked in US but this one is a good thing. Standardized qualifications. In the US, IF you complete your apprenticeship your qualified to work anywhere there is a union hall(some will have you retest). The apprenticeship and training is an imperative. Worked with a lot of non-union guys that came over and they all say the same thing.

A couple of not so glowing thoughts,
I don't feel well represented. The union would rather recruit new dues payers than take care of the ones they already have.
I really don't like anyone but me in control of my retirement money. We should have the OPTION of participating in any "fund", otherwise give it to me(I am a grown up and can manage my own). Same with our health insurance, You would think with huge number of members we could get a group discount. Not so, our premiums cost as much or more as i could get on my own. A good union represents it's members collectively and promotes the good health of the trade(I.E. training, workplace safety) I don't believe it is their place to be my mom managing my allowance.

All in all, I think the apprenticeship, and standardized qualifications alone make a union beneficial to the trade.

How is work handed out in NZ, UK????? Is there books to sign?? Is your ticket good for other jurisdictions????
Cobb

Postby bigclive » Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm

In the UK we tend to have the JIB that handles electrical certification. In Scotland it's the SJIB (Scottish Joint Industry Board). To get a card you need to complete a minimum number of hours in the trade and get some qualifications behind you. A JIB card should be good for England, Scotland, Wales and probably Ireland.

Once you're a spark/liney it's up to you to go and get work. It's not done through a union. You either network with co-workers in the industry or call the companies up and see if they are looking for labour.
From zero volts to lightning bolts.
bigclive

Re: unions

Postby marty an ss nut » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 pm

stubby56 wrote:Just woundering the benifits of unions, and what has the union done for you? is this a touchy subject,

40 hr week,Labour day,Overtime rates,Boots overalls etc
Working conditions have gone backwards over the years becouse we have givin them away!our fore farthers would rollin there graves to what has been givin away in the last 6-10 years.
And we still have the scabs who benifit from the guys who fight for there rights.
And you are right it is touchy subject,But well done for putting it out there!
Don't get me wrong as there a real good employers out there,But the shit one's kill it for everyone.

Cheers Marty
Sh$t does't just happen A@#holes Make it happen!
marty an ss nut

Postby chrisb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:20 pm

Scabs can be bit harshe- there is a difference between doing the right thing for guys who ask for help (which never happens)and working so you survive and keep your family fed. I personally wont put my family income at risk for guys that dont ask sub contractors to help out fighting a worthy cause but have personally been in position where Union did nothing for me and cant see any changes-That said I have seen it from both sides and its a lose lose for everyone trust me.
chrisb

Postby marty an ss nut » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm

eWe should all work together,not just one out on there own to undermine someone else.
Like I said 40 hr week, boots labour day stats,s etc,And no I don't think saying scabs is harsh.Just look what is happening to our telecom brothers at the moment.
marty an ss nut

Postby DaveM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm

I am a union member, and my fees pay for all non members to get the same benefits as I get from the Union negotiations.

If people don't support my Union, thats fine with me, each to their own
DaveM

Postby marty an ss nut » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:39 am

And anyone who does't think the unions have done anything,This coming labour day is one of the many things it has won over the years.
marty an ss nut

Return to General stuff, Politics and BS